Monday, June 27, 2011

Jonathon's Quilt is FINISHED!!

Jonathon's Quilt is FINISHED!!  Woo Hoo... I love completing a project.  While I had completed the top, the back, and did the quilting last weekend, I had not yet chosen a binding fabric.  I was going to go to the store and find a fabric with black and colorful stripes or polka dots, but then I decided to do something I've never done before, but I have read of others doing.  I decided to use the excess backing.  I always make my back at least 3 inches larger than my top, so I should be able to cut 2.5" strips from the excess backing.  One of the short sides didn't have quite 2.5", so I added some red fabric to get the length I needed.

Without further ado, here are some photos...

I love using these hair clips to hold down unsewn
bindings... If my daughter ever discovers them, I may
need to padlock my sewing box!!
 

 
The traditional "Rolled Quilt" shot...
There she is in all of her colorful glory

A close up of some of the quilting.  A simple
meandering pattern with Rainbow Colored thread
on the top.

There is some of that Red fabric added to the binding...
I like how the rainbow thread shows up in some places and not
in others, if the thread happens to blue while quilting over a
blue block, it just disappears, but in other places the colors contrast
well, and it pops out..


The back... My first misc. pieced back.  And I like it.
More importantly though, Jonathon loves it!
I used black thread on the back, and since most of the back is black, it
just kind of blends in.  Against the yellow however, it is very visible!
The Red binding in the corner.  This is the front of the quilt.
 
and this is back of the quilt in the same corner.


 After the photo session, it went into the washing machine for a good long cycle wash, and a long rinse cycle with Lots of Downy.  And then I presented it to Jonathon.  It did not take him long to snuggle up under it.  He loves to snuggle under a blanket while watching TV and this is what he plans to use this quilt for, watching TV.

First it was used as a pillow.

Rainbow had to give it a try...

Then Jonathon got a chill, and he snuggled up
under it.  I have to admit, I like seeing it being used!
While Jonathon was enjoying his new quilt, watching a movie on TV, I was sitting and hand sewing a label onto the "Stars And Stripes" quilt (Finished Photos coming tomorrow for that one).

When it was time to go to bed, Jonathon folded his quilt neatly and laid it on the hearth.  I asked him if was going to take it to his room and he said, "No, I want to use it here watching TV, and besides, I want a label on mine too."  My wife said, what do you want your label to say, "To Jonathon, Love Dad".

Jonathon immediately said, "NO, I want it to say Made by Paul Perger, June 2011 and stuff."  "Why not 'Dad'?" Trish asked.  "Because someday when I give it to my son, I want him to know who it was that made it.  And the date is important, because after it has been passed to my Grandkids and their Grandkids, they're gonna need to know who made it and when!"

I almost fell off my chair.  My 14 year old son thinking generations ahead...  Sometimes (when they are not making us want to pull out every strand of hair we have) they say something that makes us believe everything is going to be alright...

Until Next Time,
Paul







10 comments:

  1. I know it feels great to have the quilt finished, it certainly looks wonderful...and you have one thoughtful son there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a remarkable experience with your young male teen! I would have burst into happy tears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Paul. And, he's clearly going to enjoy it. Take care. Lane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's a special moment! They sneak them in sometimes when we least expect them, don't they?! LOL Love, love your quilt, and so glad your son is thinking the way he is. That is something you will remember for quite a while.
    Jacque in SC
    quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job! Not only on the quilt but with the kid raising too. There are rewards from time to time. :-) Just hold on to that memory when he does something that really gets under your skin. But from what I read, I doubt there are many of those moments. How great for him to think of the future. Most kids that age can't think past the weekend coming up! :-) Love reading your blog, you and your family are quite the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tracked you down after reading your comment at Chasing Cottons about the label. First the quilt is wonderful, great colors and so fun. Second, your son is very wise beyond his years. Please tell him that his comment really impressed me. How I wish I had a record of who made the older quilts I got from my mom. Always label a quilt, please. I teach a class on making labels and most people spend at least $100 on fabric, etc. for a quilt, and spend hours making it, and won't spend 30 minutes to label it.
    BTW, great blog and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWW...your son is awesome and you obviously are a great dad. Oh, and beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What an awesome quilt for an obviously awesome kid!

    Speaking as 1 of 3 daughters, I ALWAYS tag my quilts because the last thing I want is for my great great grandchildren to think one of my sisters (who have no clue how to quilt) made their quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your story makes me cry. It shows the love behind the quilts we make for others. Some people don't even look on them as a special gift made from the heart. I have had it explained to me years ago that I did something wrong when my hand quilting was washing out due to being washed every week. I had made this special quilt requested by a dear loved one & hand quilted it to make it extra special. I didn't consider that it would be washed so frequently, but, I hadn't included care instructions either. I now try to use fabric that is much more durable, like sheets. I save myself the frustration of being saddened by thinking they're ugly & not worthy of being used that way. The only thing is, in so doing, I can't use the pretty fabric that is available. I'm glad to have seen this posting site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your story makes me cry. It shows the love behind the quilts we make for others. Some people don't even look on them as a special gift made from the heart. I have had it explained to me years ago that I did something wrong when my hand quilting was washing out due to being washed every week. I had made this special quilt requested by a dear loved one & hand quilted it to make it extra special. I didn't consider that it would be washed so frequently, but, I hadn't included care instructions either. I now try to use fabric that is much more durable, like sheets. I save myself the frustration of being saddened by thinking they're ugly & not worthy of being used that way. The only thing is, in so doing, I can't use the pretty fabric that is available. I'm glad to have seen this posting site.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and welcome feedback of every kind. I read and try to respond to every comment.

Unfortunately, there are yahoos out there who make it cumbersome to allow anonymous comments. Every time I have tried to open up my blog to anonymous comments I get SPAM entries and once it starts, I start receiving 1 or 2 per hour within only a few days.

So, if you want to comment, please use Google ID or OpenID, or WindowsID, all are free.... OR send me an email and I will post your comment myself.

Thanks for leaving a comment!!
Paul