Saturday, June 23, 2012

I'm NOT going to catch the bug...

I'm not going to catch the bug...
I'm not going to catch the bug...
I'm not going to catch the bug...

Oh, WHO do I think I am kidding??  I have the Antique Sewing Machine Bug, and I've got it so bad, I had a friend GIVE me a 1910 Singer 66 Treadle today!

My son said, "So, is this your 'new' thing now, you go find old sewing machines, fix 'em up and sell 'em"?  Which led to a nice discussion about how sometimes we do things because we enjoy doing them.  Some things are worth keeping, not replacing.  We discussed the fact that this machine is 102 years old AND STILL WORKS! to which he quipped, "I guess it's true when they say, 'They don't make things like they used to', isn't it"?

My wife rolled her eyes, and my daughter said, "Dad, I'm glad you have your hobbies and all, that you enjoy a lot, but Quilting? and Sewing Machines?"

The machine has been in Dave's family since it was purchased new by Great Grandma "in the early 1900s".  As often happens, Great Grandma passed it down to her daughter, Dave's Grandmother, who sewed her last project on it two years ago.  Dave said Grandma made all of his father's clothes in the 40s and 50s and most recently she made doll clothes and dresses for missionary's kids.  I asked if she ever quilted and he wasn't sure, but "Grandma was always sewing something, as was Great-Grandma when she was alive, so I imagine one of them made a quilt at some point, but I couldn't be sure..."

Grandma died a few months ago and when they went to auction off all of her stuff, the auctioneer told them they'd be lucky to get $50 for it.  They decided for $50 they would rather give it to someone who would cherish the machine like Grandma did.  None of them sew, and they knew Grandma would rather it be used than just sit and collect dust, so they began a quest to find someone to give the machine to.  I am the chosen one.  I get the honor of keeping this beauty sewing stitches for many more years to come.

It's obvious that this machine has been cherished and cared for and used often.  The decals in front of the feed dogs are worn away.  The "Singer" on the arm of the machine is worn in the middle, probably where someone grabbed it to lower it into the table hundreds and hundreds of times.  It is obvious that it has now sat for a few years too.  There is some dust grime and there is a nice sized water stain on the cabinet where somebody set something wet upon it.

I will not be doing a full restoration on this machine, at least not right away.  I may do it someday, but for now, I will clean it up and as soon as I can, I will start putting it to use.  That was the only condition that I was given.  "If we give this to you, you need to promise it will be used."  I clarified that I wouldn't be replacing my usual full time machine, but that I would definitely clean it up and use it often enough to keep it in good working order... And Dave was happy with that.

I only shot a few photos, I'll do a proper photo shoot when I have a little more time on my hands... Monday's coming fast.  But I had to brag share with you all... I am SO excited about this machine!  I am going to have to do some research... I don't think the cabinet is the original cabinet, it just seems to not be "as old" as the machine itself.  But darn is she a beauty!  And I'll have to shoot a video as well... One grab of that wheel, one quick pull and she'll breeze through 6-8 cycles before slowing down, and she'll get 8-10 in before she stops.







Until Next time...
Paul

15 comments:

  1. That is just beautiful!!!!! Lucky you Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,

    I came from the forum to read your story here. It is a beautiful machine and your friends did the right thing to give it to you! I just bought my first treadle(non-Singer), a very old one too, which was own by the sellers Grandma. The person was also happy to pass on the machine to someone who would take care and use it.

    The red-head is know for its beauty! Oh, and I think the cabinet can be original... I saw several 66 in the same cabintet style.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is excellent. I have always wanted to try sewing on a treadle machine. LOL - exercise and sew at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, you are a lucky man! Beautiful machine! I just finished up a 99k and the 66 is next on my list; the search begins. As for the treadle - it could be original. Are the treadle legs wood or rolled steel? Wood legs, I believe, were the first rendition of that stand. If the legs are made of rolled steel, then the treadle base is probably late 40's early 50's. Treadles and stands are not as easy to date as the machines themselves, but someone over at the VS Forum will probably know for certain (BJ or Bill).

    Oh, and I finally got my Quantum L-500!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you through the Singer forum...you're lucky! I have a model 27 that's 111 years old and a model 66 that's 92 years old. The 66 is the one I take to quilt guild sewing days and other places where I need a portable machine. I still use my electric for the actual quilting, but I use my 27 and 66 more and more for piecing and small sewing projects. They work really well once you get the hang of it! You'll enjoy that 66 for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should mention that my 27 is a treadle, and my 66 is powered by a hand crank.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a straight leg treadle base. I have a 66 that I converted to a hand crank. They kept the base for a plant stand. Have fun with her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, I just had one and in desperate times had to sell it but some day I will find another and keep it. Yours is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just received the same machine and treadle base from my sister-in-law. Same deal. No one wanted it and they remembered me. It is named Cora after the lady who originally bought it way back when.
    The reason the Singer name is scratched off on yours is probably 'pin rash'. Many years ago, the story starts, a women's magazine had the 'helpful hint' to wrap fabric around that part of the machine and stash your pins there for easy use. It was very convenient and destroyed many a decal.
    And of course my machine also has the water spot from where the houseplant was over-watered. It is almost required to have that mark on an old machine.
    I hope you enjoy your machine as much as I am enjoying mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabrics 'sequestered'. Love the idea. So that is what I am doing! I knew there was a name for it. Snicker...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! It reminds me of my grandmother's Singer... I also love quilting and bible studies...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! I can only wish I will someday find one of these for $50! What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have three Red Heads. Two treadles and an electric "portable." The 66 is a great machine. Easy to work on and fun to treadle. I love quilting too, and poodles....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! The way I see it, we preserve them for future generations. We help them keep their value. We can easily gift or sell them to someone else -- we can be temprary caretakers of these wonderful pieces of history --- and machines are better kept being USED instead of STORED. Sew on!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and welcome feedback of every kind. I read and try to respond to every comment.

Unfortunately, there are yahoos out there who make it cumbersome to allow anonymous comments. Every time I have tried to open up my blog to anonymous comments I get SPAM entries and once it starts, I start receiving 1 or 2 per hour within only a few days.

So, if you want to comment, please use Google ID or OpenID, or WindowsID, all are free.... OR send me an email and I will post your comment myself.

Thanks for leaving a comment!!
Paul