Monday, November 10, 2014

In Memory of Rainbow

17 years ago my now 22 year old son wanted a dog.  When I asked him what kind of dog he wanted, he said, "A little white one".  When I asked him what he would name this dog should we ever get one, he said, "Rainbow".

We then had a long discussion during which he informed me that he had been reading a book about light and he learned that we see the color "White" when ALL the colors of the rainbow are "'flected to our eyes".  "Did you know that when you see the color Red, it's because the thing you are looking at sucks in all of the other colors in the rainbow and the only color that bounces off it to your eye is Red?"

I sat, astonished at my then 5 year old child's comprehension of how light and color are related...

Three months later the boys got their white dog.  Jonathon was only a baby then so Josh got full naming rights and true to his new found knowledge, our toy poodle was christened "Rainbow".


Rainbow "Studying" with Jonathon a few weeks before he died...

I'll admit, and I have several times.  I did not want a dog.  But, as is often the case, my kids and my wife won out.  This however is one battle I don't regret losing.  Rainbow grew on me and was a great dog... 

Two years ago, after 15 years of unconditional love, Rainbow left this world.

I never thought I would say this, but he is greatly missed.


Until His work in me is complete,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and welcome feedback of every kind. I read and try to respond to every comment.

Unfortunately, there are yahoos out there who make it cumbersome to allow anonymous comments. Every time I have tried to open up my blog to anonymous comments I get SPAM entries and once it starts, I start receiving 1 or 2 per hour within only a few days.

So, if you want to comment, please use Google ID or OpenID, or WindowsID, all are free.... OR send me an email and I will post your comment myself.

Thanks for leaving a comment!!
Paul