Each week Bonnie gives a "clue" which is really a set of instructions, and each week the participants cut and make the subunits per Bonnie's instructions. We are all "flying blind" as we have no idea how all of the subunits will be assembled, but each week we make the required number of units and then wait for further instruction.
Bonnie is a dedicated "Scrap Quilter" which I admire, but most Scrap quilters have a lot of scraps to use and choose from. I don't. So I purchased yardage, and I chose to purchase full yardage of each color. I did not try to purchase a bunch of Fat Quarters to get a variety for a scrappy look, I decided to use Batiks. Because of the nature of how batiks are made, they look a little scrappy anyway.
|My Batiks for the Mystery Quilt.|
I will try to keep up, as getting behind just gets frustrating later on. So, without further ado, here is what I accomplished for this the first week of Bonnie's Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt...
I got all of my strips cut for this week on Friday Night...
|Week ONE strips all cut and ready to cut some more!|
|I used my Easy Angle Ruler to cut my squares as well! Four at a time, |
2 Yellow and 2 Black
|144 Black and Yellow 2.5" Squares|
Then I started using the Easy Angle Ruler to do my HSTs of Pink and Blue.
The Easy Angle is easy to use once you get the hang of it, and it cuts perfect triangles with one dog ear already cut off!
|Line up the proper corner with the upper left corner... |
There is even an arrow to help you get the right one!
|Simply turn the ruler as if it were on a hinge and line it up |
with your previous cut and the proper marking, in my case, 2.5".
The small black triangle marks the dog ear that you are "cutting off".
|Two (or four) HSTs ready to sew!|
I think I've mentioned that I don't like HSTs. I did 36 HSTs, they all sewed up fine, but are about a sixteenth of an inch too big. (They are in the box next to the squares above...) Now I will have to trim them all up.
So, on my second batch, I shortened my seam just a hair and after four, I checked them and they were fine. I proceeded to sew the remainder at the exact same seam, but somehow my bottom thread tension changed! I finally sew a whole string of HSTs with true quarter inch seams and now I have to rip 'em all because the thread isn't tight enough to keep them together. FRUSTRATING!!
|HST Strung across the room from machine to|
Pressing Board, only to find I could not press them!
|Look at those wonderfully straight quarter inch seams... No pinched|
corners, but LOOPS and LOOPS.... Aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhh!
So... I'm going to be behind right from week ONE! Oh, well, I'll plug along and get it done. One Step at a Time...
If you came here from Bonnie's Link Party, Click HERE to go back! If you want to visit Bonnie's site and see what the craziness is all about, go ahead and click and go visit! I won't mind! Thanks for visiting! See you next week...
Until His work in me is complete,