So What CAN I reveal? Well, when I saw step ONE of GIMQ (Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt) I realized I was going to need to sew many, many HSTs. I have heard many times before that the best machine to sew these on is an old Singer Featherweight. I have one, in fact, I have had it for over a year, but it didn't work.
It needed some work before I was going to be able to sew on it. She barely moved when turning the fly wheel. Her motor seemed to have plenty of power, but her drive belt was frail, and she was bound up. SO, I decided to work on her so I could use her to complete the GIMQ!
So, I pulled her out of her ragged old box, and identified the things I NEEDED to order to make her operational. Her power cord was in horrible condition. Her rubber feet were non-existent, and she was filthy dirty! I had one old rusty bobbin, and her felts were in horrible condition. So I ordered all new parts to replace what needed replacing.
Last Friday, I received those parts. Bonnie also released her next clue in the GIMQ, which included... yep... More HSTs! so I was motivated and equipped. I must say, the internet is a wonderful place! I found YouTube videos galore, and a Facebook group dedicated to Singer Featherweights proved to be invaluable in getting me the resources I needed to take my little hunk of black painted aluminum from greasy, seized, mess of a not working sewing machine to a clean, working, although not beautiful, machine, sewing beautiful stitches!
So, while the only sewing I can share from the past week is the first four HSTs sewn on my "NEW Featherweight", I CAN share my adventure in taking her from not moving to sewing. Without further ado, here she is... Built in the summer of 1940... My Featherweight...
|This case pretty much tells her history...|
I'm hoping I can give her a much better future!
|Here you can see that she has no clear coat at all on about 80%|
of her body. There are a few places where she has some finish, but very few.
|The Bags of parts I needed to to bring her to life. A new power cord, belt,|
felts, rubber feet, twenty new needles and a dozen new shiny bobbins.
|As I disassembled her, this is how I kept track of what screws belonged to|
which parts. All were cleaned thoroughly in a bath of Kerosene
and scrubbed with a toothbrush before being bagged with the
identifying Post It Note.
|The beautiful scrolled faceplate which was standard on the earliest|
Featherweights. Dirty, gunky, yellowed and in desperate need of cleaning in this photo.
|Another part full of gunk ready to be cleaned. All of the surface parts were|
gunky and filthy dirty.
|This is what a belt looks like when it sits without moving for decades!|
|THIS is why I ordered new wiring! This was a fire waiting to happen|
under my foot!
|This photo shows the "rubber feet". That gray circle is supposed to be a black|
rubber foot. Decades of decay and neglect left this machine literally sitting
on the screws that held the feet in place... (see next photo)
|Here is a side view of the "foot". Well,|
more like the absence of the foot!
|And her new rubber feet... No more scratching my desk!|
|When I opened up the top and removed the faceplate, I was amazed at|
how clean the innards of the machine were! This is before I cleaned it!
Twenty four hours before this video was taken, she would
barely even move...
barely even move...
|My first few stitches after reassembly!|
|Most of her isn't very pretty, but LOOK at that face plate!|
I love the fancy scrolled plates on the early machines...
No more yellow or brown gunk!!
|And here she is with her first official work!|
First four blocks pressed, trimmed and perfect. Another 20 sewn for good measure.
SO, I have a LOT of work to do to catch up, but now that this little baby is working and I'm almost done with my Christmas quilting, I'll be able to get to work very soon!
If you came from Bonnie's Link up, get back by clicking HERE. If you want to see what others are doing on Bonnie's Mystery Quilting, go ahead and click, I won't mind!
Until His work in me is complete,