Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth of July!!

The fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays.  It is special to me for many reasons, the most obvious being that this day celebrates the "Birthday" of the country that I love.  It is the country of my birth and my citizenship, but having traveled all over the world, I wouldn't choose another.

Red, White and Blue... Our Flag... Stars and Stripes... Our Heritage... Our Founders... Our Constitution... Our Declaration of Independence...Our Freedom...

I was taught about all of these as I was growing up.  My Grandparents always played a large roll in my Fourth of July celebrations.  My earliest memory of a Fourth of July celebration is July 4, 1976.  Our 200th Birthday was celebrated in a HUGE fashion, and I spent the day with my Paternal Grandparents. I got to get on a Firetruck, we ate Hot Dogs and Popcorn, and Grandpa bought me an Icee.  We stayed out late to watch Fireworks, and I spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  It was a memorable day in a 9 year old boy's life.

Two years ago, I went to Arizona to spend a few days with Grandma and Grandpa the first week of July.  It turned out to be Grandma's last Fourth of July.  A short 10 days after my visit she went to the doctor and less than 8 weeks later she went to spend eternity with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Easter was Grandma's favorite holiday, followed by Christmas, and Fourth of July.  I remember many of each of those three holidays spent with Grandma and Grandpa.

Today, I will take my children to the local celebration.  We will eat hot dogs & popcorn, and I'll buy Icees, or more likely, Dippin' Dots.  We'll stay out late and watch fireworks, and maybe years from now they'll be writing about their Fourth of July Memories.

I did spend some time yesterday quilting, my post on Quilty Stuff for this weekend will post tomorow... Until then, HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!



Until Next Time,
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your comments and welcome feedback of every kind. I read and try to respond to every comment.

Unfortunately, there are yahoos out there who make it cumbersome to allow anonymous comments. Every time I have tried to open up my blog to anonymous comments I get SPAM entries and once it starts, I start receiving 1 or 2 per hour within only a few days.

So, if you want to comment, please use Google ID or OpenID, or WindowsID, all are free.... OR send me an email and I will post your comment myself.

Thanks for leaving a comment!!
Paul