|Here she is all full of suds after some elbow grease...|
|And here she is after wiping her all off and rinsing away the suds...|
|And after a slight buff with a buffing cloth... |
Not much difference after the buffing cloth,
I'm going to need to give her a full polish...
1 - She has quite a few knicks and dings... Especially around the edges
2 - The part I thought had been bent was actually just loose. Tightening the screw straightened it!
Her metal parts are all clear of rust, there is no rust anywhere on or in her that I could see. Her movement is smooth (meaning there are no "catches" or "ticks") but she is stiff (meaning it wasn't easy to turn her).
So I gave her a good oiling and after only a few dozen rotations, she started moving much more easily. The motor runs very smoothly, with some minor squeaks. Based on the gook I cleaned out the bobbin case I imagine the electric motor has some crap in there too that needs to be cleaned up. I will open up the motor and clean it out next.
The belt looked horribly warped when I opened the box, but after removing the belt cover I realized that the belt was actually fairly new, but it had been twisted under the cover. I took the belt off and laid it flat on the bench for a few days and the twist seems to have disappeared, and it seems to be working just fine now. (I'll probably buy a new one anyway...)
She has enough knicks and dings on her front edge that I probably won't use her until I have smoothed out her front and back edges enough so fabric won't get caught and snagged. If it weren't for the edges, I think she'd be fine with a good polishing job, but the knicks of missing paint are large enough, and plentiful enough that I may have no choice but to strip and repaint her.
I don't know yet what I'll do, BUT, I do know this: It was $15.50 well spent!!!
Until Next Time,