And so it is that my Singer Spartan now has a name and his name is "Leonidas".
Since my last post, I have been oiling him daily, hand turning his workings a few times and then running him for a minute or so. On the third day he started to spin with no hesitation and was churning away when I started to smell something burning. I stopped and looked at the motor and saw a bit of smoke rising out of it. So I unplugged him and decided I would not run it again until I had a chance to open up the motor housing and clean it out.
The next day, I attacked the first part of my refurbishment - The Motor.
Let me start by saying, I am NOT AN EXPERT. I know a enough about how an electric motor works that I am comfortable opening this up. (Not to mention, if I destroy it, it can be replaced for less than $20). I am sharing the process and what I have learned along the way... This is NOT A TUTORIAL. Just my experience.
I took a lot of photos and a lot of verbal notes along the way, so I can reassemble by printing the photos and listening to my notes in reverse order...
Here is a photo journey of the dis-assembly and cleaning of Leonidas' motor.
|Mount Side of Motor|
|After removing the Belt Wheel and two nuts the back half of the|
Motor Housing slipped right off exposing the innards of the motor.
|Pictures like this help me remember where the small|
bits go when it comes time to re-assemble.
|A goopy motor fan, which I promptly cleaned up.|
|When I started cutting wires, I started marking wires and taking good|
notes. This is the only way I will feel comfortable putting it back together.
|This little piece is curved and it holds the bearing in place for the motor|
shaft. It came out fairly easily, but putting it back in is going to be tricky.
I am pretty sure they made a tool specifically for this task that I don't own...
|All of the "Little Parts", each covered in goo.|
|After cleaning all of the "little parts" with Goo-Gone my hands were|
all white. I had never had this happen with Goo-Gone in the past, but
then it struck me, "I don't usually use an eighth of a bottle at one time."
Next time, I'll wear gloves!!
So, that's it. The motor and the foot pedal are completely disassembled and ready to be stripped.
I have decided not to go back to the original black. I am going to build a "Theme Machine" to go along with his new name. "Leonidas" was king of the Spartans. His shield was made of hammered bronze and his cape was Maroon. So, I am going to paint the machine with a hammered bronze paint and I am going to design some decals to go along with the theme. The "Spartan" name badge will be replaced with "Leonidas" in a Greek font, and while the Spartan was sparse on decals, I am going to deck him out with some chains, a spear or two and maybe a Flail or two. Right in the middle of the deck I am going to put a shield of some sort.
Let the fun begin!!
Until Next Time,