Saturday, May 5, 2012

My "New" SPARTAN

I have been wanting a Featherweight 221 for quite some time now.  I decided I want to do the "Refurb" myself if I could find the right machine.  So the hunt has started.  Last week a friend of mine sent me a link to an Ebay auction for a Singer Spartan (basically a 99 sold in Britain under the name Spartan) that had 4 hours left and was sitting at $12.  The case itself was worth that much, it was in great shape.

Long story short, I bought it for $15.50.  Unfortunately, it was dropped while it was being delivered, and this is what I received...

The machine with case pieces strewn throughout...

The case that was immaculate when it left the shop, was
in shambles when I received it.  The hardware is all still good
so I might make a new case and use the original hardware.

You can see here where the machine tried to break through the
side of the case.

Cables and the bobbin wrapped around the machine
over and over again.


Unfortunately, the plastic base also broke... The whole end of it broke
completely off.  You can see one of the pins... The holes they were in
were completely sheared off.

Surprisingly, the machine actually came out of this pretty well...  It was covered in sawdust which was the result of the case disintegrating around it.

I've got a bunch of stuff on my plate right now, so I won't be working on this in great detail anytime soon, but I will post a bunch of "In Process" photos when I start working on it.  My intention is to more or less learn from this one... If I make a few mistakes, I'll learn from them, and I only have $15.50 invested...

If all goes well, I'll sell it and buy a 221 that needs some TLC.  At worst, I'll disassemble it and sell the parts.

This weekend my daughter and I will be going to The Creation Museum and the Newport Aquarium for a Father & Daughter weekend.

Thanks for Reading,
Paul




4 comments:

  1. You should contact the seller and get your money back. It looks like you were interested in the case and the value that had. If the sewing machine wasn't packed correctly this will happen. If it wasn't destroyed because of poor packing then the carrier should reimburse your loss. Either way you shouldn't have to pay for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like that poor machine went through a hurricane. Treat her nice and she'll bounce back!! I agree with 'JustPam' - the delivery company should pay for the damage in transit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Paul. She should be all steel inside and unless her paint was damaged, she should be okay...unless the drive shaft bent...I've had to machines where that happened. Luckily, it's easier to replace on that spartan than on my old bernina. Glad to see you giving an old girl a new chance. Lane

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your comments and welcome feedback of every kind. I read and try to respond to every comment.

Unfortunately, there are yahoos out there who make it cumbersome to allow anonymous comments. Every time I have tried to open up my blog to anonymous comments I get SPAM entries and once it starts, I start receiving 1 or 2 per hour within only a few days.

So, if you want to comment, please use Google ID or OpenID, or WindowsID, all are free.... OR send me an email and I will post your comment myself.

Thanks for leaving a comment!!
Paul